Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Court Finds ENS Guilty of "Inhibiting Freedom of Expression"

I blogged a while ago about the cancellation of a meeting at the École Normale Supérieure at which Stéphane Hessel and others were to speak in the context of a debate about the status of Palestine. The organizers of the event were clearly anti-Israeli in orientation but promised to allow contradictory views to be expressed. The Administrative Tribunal of Paris has now ruled that ENS was guilty of "inhibiting the freedom of expression." The school must now revisit its decision.

1 comment:

Cincinna said...

For once.  Bravo! for Academic Freedom and Free Speech in France. Perhaps this is a harbinger of better times to come in PC obsessed France.

As the oft quoted Voltaire reportedly said:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Our own Patriot, Patrick Henry's famous quote, " but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death! was surely influenced by Voltaire. It was spoken in the Richmond Church during the debates over our Declaration of Independence