Saturday, May 21, 2011

On Blogging in a Tsunami

It's now a week, almost to the hour, since the first news of DSK's arrest popped up in my inbox. It's been a hectic seven days: I've been on TV twice, on radio in the US once and in France once, have posted about five times as often as usual, and have seen a five- to six-fold increase in traffic. When I got into blogging, it was in the hope of giving myself a good reason to follow the French news more closely than I did previously and to make that news available in English (to the extent possible), as well as to reflect on events. In the past week, I've been doing too little reflecting and too much relaying. It's difficult for one person to keep up this pace, so I'm not going to. In any case, the shock having begun to subside, I expect that news production will return to a more normal rhythm. In the mean time, the week has offered up quite a number of themes that bear more substantial thinking. I hope to return to them as time permits. For now, I'm taking the night off (although I'll be attending a dinner party, where I'll no doubt have to repeat much of what I've been saying for the benefit of others who haven't been following the story quite as closely--although repeating oneself is tiresome). So, bon weekend et à bientôt.

6 comments:

MYOS said...

Thank you, Art, fr this awesome coverage, but also for providing a oasis for those of us who had no place where they could express what they were living through, hearing, thinking, etc., and where discussion is always respectful and thought-provoking.
Have le bon weekend and hopefully you won't have to repeat yourself too much. At least, take comfort in the fact your hosts or guests will believe you. :)

wm said...

Thanks for all of your work this past week. Your blog has been an interesting, compelling source.

brent said...

Thanks, Art, et bon weekend à vous-même. Your blog is a real public service.

meshplate said...

Echoing others, I'd like to say thank you also. There'll be many more bumps along the road..... Bon dimanche.

Louis said...

Same as above. Keep up the good work!

FrédéricLN said...

You've been reacting, ok, but your atlantic-distant reactions were very inspiring, when read from the Old World.