Tuesday, November 1, 2011

MLP Not a Regicide

The Nation interviews Marine Le Pen:

Asked who her favorite authors are, Le Pen answers, “I was fed Victor Hugo by my father. La Légende des siècles[The Legend of the Ages, a collection of poems] is a favorite. I also love poetry and Baudelaire. Marguerite Duras and Alain Robbe-Grillet, whose books were compulsory at school, have, however, remained totally hermetic to me. Today I read a lot of books on the economy but also on history. I have just finished a new biography on Charles IX.” On literature and her father, she makes this unexpected remark: “You know, Jean-Marie Le Pen is not an ideologue; he’s an amoureux. He reads a lot.”
To my French interlocutors, I often ask one final question: Would they have voted the king’s death after 1793, during the French Revolution? Marine Le Pen pauses for a moment: “No. No, I wouldn’t have voted for the king’s death. It wasn’t necessary. We could have chosen a parliamentary monarchy like Britain. It would have prevented many deaths. You know, I’m in favor of reconciliation.” Is she, really?

No comments: