Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Neo-Nazi Soldiers Didn't Do It

One of the leads investigators were following in the serial killings was that the killer might have been one of 3 soldiers from the Montauban regiment who had been cashiered for neo-Nazi activities. But they have been cleared. (h/t CF)

THIS STORY HAS BEEN RETRACTED. THE POLICE DENY HAVING INTERVIEWED OR CLEARED THE THREE EX-PARATROOPERS IN QUESTION.

6 comments:

bernard said...

Are you sure?

media are publishing a lot of stuff as fact which are, maybe, not quite facts. I were the cops, I probably would disinform to some extent till I had my hands on the guy in actual fact.

Arthur Goldhammer said...

No, in fact this story has now been denied by the police. The previous report was wrong. They haven't interviewed the 3 paratroopers in question and haven't cleared them. Sorry for rushing on this. Circumspection is in order.

Anonymous said...

The police denied having interviewed them? Really? Wouldn't it be rather a good idea to interview them?

bernard said...

another great journalism piece by Le Monde. Then they wonder why people stopped buying "le journal de référence" some time ago...

Mitch Guthman said...

@Anonymous,

The authorities are apparently looking for these men very actively. It is not that they don't want to interview the men but that they can't locate them at the moment.

But also, I agree that we should not jump to conclusions in any case. The little we know points equally in several directions on the political/religious spectrum.

Anonymous said...

Apparently they're about to arrest a kid (well, 24 years old) who fancies himself a djihadist for AlQaida after spending quality brain-washing time on the Afghan/Pakistani border. The impact on the presidential campaign is still unknown, although Marine Le Pen has been quick to jump at the issue she saw there....