Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Debate Scoring

I'm in the throes of last-minute travel preparations, but I did have time to scan the post-debate press, and the consensus seems to be, as I suggested earlier, that Hollande did "well enough." For Le Monde, he began the favorite and remains the favorite. He "never allowed himself to be dominated by Nicolas Sarkozy."

I will be incommunicado for most of tomorrow, unless I find a few minutes to blog at the airport gate. I'll be back in touch when I resurface in Palo Alto. Meanwhile, keep the comments coming.


Robert said...

I once read that Mitterrand's strategy in the 1981 debate was to neutralize Giscard's perceived superiority by keeping the whole thing boring.

Watching much of the first hour, I wondered whether the above also summed up Hollande's goal in this year's exercise. He didn't look very presidential, but by constantly interrupting his opponent, he kept the latter from saying anything memorable beyond "mensonge" and "petit calomniateur."

In fact, I'd give Hollande the win by default, if only because you don't imagine aforementioned language coming from a head of state.

Anonymous said...

Yes, good point. That make Sarkozy look bad. But Hollande's constant interruptions - even in the closings - made him look bad as well, as though he didn't want to let his opponent say what he had to say out of fear of him saying something that would damage him.

My feeling overall was that Hollande interrupted and dragged things on and on so they would talk about as few topics as possible.

Anonymous said...

"A partir du moment où il n'a pas gagné, il a perdu. Il était trop agressif. On ne traite pas quelqu'un qui veut devenir président de la République de 'petit calomniateur'", confie un proche de M. Sarkozy. "Il était trop dans la défense de son bilan. Il a été acculé sur son côté président des riches", déplore un ministre.