Sunday, September 9, 2012

Et tu Twitter?

Will Twitter make le tutoiement universal. This is the momentous issue of the day considered here:

Antonio Casilli, le chercheur cité par la BBC, explique comment l'emploi du "vous" sur Twitter peut aujourd'hui passer pour aussi déplacé que celui du "tu" dans des circonstances inappropriées. "Vouvoyer quelqu'un - ou s'attendre à ce qu'il vous vouvoie - implique une hiérarchie. Il s'agit donc d'une brèche de taille dans le code de communication [des réseaux sociaux], une tentative de réaffirmer des rôles sociaux asymétriques, une distance qui compromet la cohésion sociale".
To which I say a hearty "Who cares?"

3 comments:

Rick DeNatale said...

Of course, tu takes up two less of those precious 140 characters than does vous. N'est-ce pas?

DavidinParis said...

IN a society where the language is no longer a world standard, and which prides itself on rules of etiquette that are admittedly antiquated, the loss of the vous is as momentous as '68. Je vous jure, je n'exagere pas...

Cincinna said...

Good manners and respect are never antiquated.

 In France, my back goes up when someone who is not my family or close friend uses "tu". 
  I learned from my grandmaman, who was a grande dame in every sense of the term, that one of the worst things to be is mal elevée. 

 The proper response to the question "On peut se tutoyez?" remains "Si vous voulez"

 I should add that good manners and proper use of language still exists, even here in America. My children always address adults as Mr or Mrs (or Madame or Monsieur in France.) 
  In most circumstances, when talking to someone older, I do as well, until they say "please call me Sally or Bill".
 Except in church, where everyone is on a first name basis, the minister and his wife included. Confusing, isn't it?
  The use of "tu" and "vous" is a great tool for defining levels of intimacy in social relationships. 
 Since I live a double life, here in NY and in Paris, I switch back and forth. 

 Here in NY my hairdresser and my 
deli guy call me by my first name. It's fine with me, just the American way of friendliness and informality.   In France that would be rude and intrusive. 
  Vive la diffèrence!