Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cahuzac? What, he's still around?

I have a new measure of the political importance of a scandal. Does it outlast a short stay in hospital? Apparently, the Cahuzac affair meets the test. I was out of touch with the French news for a few days while dealing with the sequelae of a FUO (fever of unknown origin). You see how quickly I pick up the medical lingo. And I return home to find Cahuzac still in the hot seat. One thing is certain: Edwy Plenel and his friends will press any advantage against either la gauche caviar ou la droite bling-bling.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of these grudges go back a long way, to radical fringe battles of the past forgotten by all but the participants.

As for the Cahuzac business, I have no idea what's true and what's not true, so I will let the principals shout themselves hoarse. I have no voice anyway. Perhaps tomorrow morning French politics will once again look significant enough in world-historical terms to spend my time on. At the moment, I'm not so sure.

1 comment:

Cincinna said...

Art,
I'm sorry you have been sick, and wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
Cincinna