Saturday, June 1, 2013

Finkielkraut Disintegrates

Alain Finkielkraut has attained a new level of spleen. His latest target is what he calls "the divine left," which he believes to be arrogant, doctrinaire, and hermetically sealed against criticism. His evidence for this is, apparently, the Taubira Law. It seems that, in Finkielkraut's mind, the fact that homosexual marriage was authorized by a democratic majority carries no weight. Rather, for him, the new law is the creation of certain television networks which trade on an amalgam of "les banlieues et le show-biz." France, he claims, is not reducible to this sum. The proof of the Finkielkraut inequality is the anti-gay marriage movement. Le Point sees fit to characterize this farrago of nonsense as "brilliant." Go figure.

2 comments:

FrédéricLN said...

Er - sorry for him, but it's only a new level in a long-term process ( a small example seven years ago : http://www.volle.com/opinion/illettrismeimp.htm ). As far as I remember, my teacher Jean-Marie Domenach had a fairly high opinion of Alain Finkielkraut — I did not understand why — but that was 25 years ago.

At some time, if you start considering all the Parisian intellectual milieu as globally wrong (and I'm not so far from this point of view) it would be safe to leave Paris, forget it all and work on your own topics. My 2 cents.

Siegfried said...

I really appreciate the interest that the author of the blog grants to the politics of my country. But I just have the impression that the things Finkielkraut are talking about in the "Le Point" article, which are extracted from the excellent political show from E. Zemmour and E. Naulleau, are maybe too deeply intricated in the French culture to be understood by a foreigner.

I am a French student and have spent a long time at MIT, living in a leftie community, and I could see there that, even if they had good reasonments and interests, the difference of cultures and the lack of a common past made the mutual comprehension very hard on certain points, as for the same-sex wedding, for example.

I would say that the recent demonstrations against same-sex marriage have revealed the existence of a sort of cultural war in my country. For decades, lefties have won it, thanks to shows like "Le Grand Journal" (who could seriously say it's not politically biased ?), to the demission of rigthy elites, and to the victory of economical liberalism. But I think it's over now. What do you think of the emergence of newspapers and periodics like Causeur, for instance ?

I would develop a little bit more my speech if some people here are interested in it, but I actually think that a cultural gap divides more and more two parts of our country, and that it may end very bad - Marine Le Pen's election is just the first act.