Saturday, June 1, 2013

Strange Blog Traffic Patterns

Blog traffic has been unusual for the past few weeks. I have been getting large spikes, 2 to 3 times my normal daily traffic, on days when nothing is happening, even on days when I have no new posts. This used to happen only when there were exceptional events: DSK's arrest or "Casse-toi pauvr' con." (That these were the most exceptional events of the past five years in the judgment of the Internet already says something about either the state of French politics or the state of the Internet. But I have no idea what's going on now, and the blog logs, oddly enough, show nothing that would give me a clue.

Anybody have any ideas? Arun, BernardG, other bloggers: Have you seen anything similar?

7 comments:

sushi105 said...

a) you have a stalker b) people are beginning to see how astute your comments are esp. economic stuff, NOT DSK, c)no idea.

Anonymous said...

I've had curious spikes in traffic too and which I can't explain. They're all Google searches - sometimes for images (which can't be the case for you) - meaning Google's algorithm is at work. Mystère.

My biggest day ever was last September after one of my Charlie Hebdo/Islam posts. That required no explanation.

Arun

James Brown said...

I was in the US when I visited this site this past week but the Feedjit live traffic feed didn't indicate the city where I was located, just the country (to whit, "United States"). Now that I'm back in France and looking over at the feed , I see it indicated both the city and the region (ie, Paris, Ile-de-France)

James Brown said...

which is to say, the site's tracker seems to be a bit off...

Art Goldhammer said...

Feedjit isn't the tracker. I use two different trackers, one embedded in Blogger and the other run by StatCounter. The latter shows referring sites, including Google searches, and these aren't appearing in unusual numbers, so I'm not seeing the phenomenon Arun is describing. It's a mystery, which I suspect may be linked to "comment spammers," who occasionally get through Blogger's defenses and leave the splendid comments you all have seen, usually with a link to some nefarious site.

Bernard Girard said...

No, I did not see any spike in the traffic of my blog; Mystère, donc…

DavidinParis said...

You have likely noticed that some comments are 'phishing' for cutomers. Maybe this somehow alters the traffic?