Sunday, November 17, 2013

Reflections From My Fellow Bloggers on Hollande's Failed Presidency

I'm too busy preparing a talk on Albert Camus (next Monday, Boston College Clough Center, 1 PM) and reading the proofs of my translation of Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century to devote much time to political reflections, so I'll steer you to interesting comments by two of my blogging confrères. First, Bernard Girard reports on a luncheon with an old friend, a former Communist, who stunned him by announcing that he would vote for Marine Le Pen. A sign of the damage that has been done--or, as Bernard puts it, of the "mental confusion" created--by the apparent rudderlessness of the Hollande presidency.

And then Arun Kapil contributes this very interesting speculation about how the politics of the coming months might play out. I won't spoil the story by giving away the possible endings. Suffice it to say that Arun's prognostications are by no means implausible.

And that is where we find ourselves, folks, on this Nov. 17, 2013, which just happens to be both my 67th birthday and my 30th wedding anniversary.

7 comments:

James Conran said...

Felicitations Arthur!

PS in case you didn't hear, Arnaud Montebourg is speaking at MIT in the near future.

MCG said...

Bon anniversaire, Arthur!

M.

Steven Rendall said...

I'm 7 years ahead of you in age, but way behind you in conjugal longevity (but I'm working on that). Congratulations on both!

Sophie M said...

Bon anniversaire!

Art Goldhammer said...

James, Yes, I know about Montebourg's visit. In fact, I had dinner with him and the French ambassador last night. But it was "off the record," so I can't write about it. Interesting, though.

Mitch Guthman said...

Best wishes for a Happy birthday and a happy anniversary and may you have many more of both.

Anonymous said...

Arun's post makes a lot of sense. It sorts of answers a question I'd been asking myself: "Hollande can't be that bad a politician, can he?" Answer: no.