Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Come again?

Times:
To Michelle Obama’s right was Stephen Colbert, the comedian and television host, whose connection to France consists largely in his determination to pronounce his surname as if it were French (he is of Irish, English and German extraction).
...
In his toast to Mr. Hollande, Mr. Obama offered humorous aperçus about life in America from the French political thinker Alexis de Tocqueville. “Vive la France, God bless America, and long live the alliance between our great nations,” the president concluded.
They could have invited me, but I guess saying that is just sour grapes.

3 comments:

TexExile said...

I know how you feel, Art. I am still smarting from the fact that I was not invited to Bennie XVI's retirement party last year. I hear it was quite a bash.

Cincinna said...

Obama referenced "Alex" de Toqueville and mispronounced the French President's name. One would imagine a little preparation and practice would be in order for this event that the world was watching.
Seating comedian Stephen Colbert next to Michelle Obama, after Colbert referred to Hollande as "Quasimodo" was rather insulting.
We know this isn't Camelot, but the guest list of Hollywood stars, rappers, and pop music icons is something I find embarrassing. Where were the musicians, conductors, scholars, writers, scientists? Should we really be showing off this trash culture to the French as best America has to offer? I beg to differ.

FrédéricLN said...

Once again I agree with Cincinna! Pop culture is nice though, but having there true fans of Tocqueville would have been nice too.