Saturday, September 15, 2007

Arrêt sur Images Returns


Daniel Schneidermann's media critique Arrêt sur Images, which was canceled by France 5, will continue on the Internet. Part of the site will be freely accessible, but some features will be available to paying subscribers only. Regular readers will recall that there had been some discussion of a plan to finance the program through the Poitou-Charentes regional council, of which Ségolène Royal is president. Apparently this didn't work out. Schneidermann rightly values his independence, as he tells the reporter for Rue89, and for that reason he has taken the gamble of a paying site rather than a free one like Rue89.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that would have mean funding a private production company through the Poitou-Charentes. Not totally unheard of, but it does smell of unjustly spending taxpayers' money...

The show was interesting sometimes, but Schneidermann is the one who produces it, and he's mostly worried about his main source of income. He's tried to make this into a political issue because of some dispute he had with the management of France Televisions, but it's not a "political" show in any way, so I'm tempted to assume that he's doing this out of personal interest.

Unknown said...

Yes, I was critical of the Poitou-Charentes plan when it was discussed, and I don't take Schneidermann to be a saint. But everyone looks after his personal interest, and I think criticism of the media will be an essential watchdog function under the current regime.